Custom Component Design with Paneling Tools
- Introduction to grid-based modeling with PanelingTools
- Moving from paper folding inspiration to digital model
- Paneling surfaces with custom components
- Preparing components for digital fabrication
Prerequisites + Preparation:
- This course is suitable for all Creative Professionals: Artists, Architects, Designers, Engineers, Programmers, Students.
- All experience levels are welcome; however, we recommend that you are familiar with the Basics of Grasshopper and Kangaroo. See our online courses for more information.
- You will need to have Rhino 4SR9 or Rhino5 for Windows, Grasshopper 0.9.0014, and Paneling Tools Beta [April 5, 2012] installed prior to the start of the course.
About the Instructors:
Ronnie Parsons + Gil Akos are founding partners of Mode Collective. With over 15 years of combined experience designing, making, and teaching, Ronnie and Gil aim to provide workshop participants with a fun, interactive, and productive learning experience.
This course will provide an overview of the theory and practice of designing custom surface components with the grid-based modeling plug-in, PanelingTools.
About This Online Course:
Students will learn intuitive techniques, inspired by paper folding, for the design, analysis, and fabrication of complex surfaces. Additionally, the principles and rationale behind NURBS will be covered, shedding light on how this particular type of geometry may impact the various design decisions you will face when paneling surfaces.